Yep! That's me in the car. :) ....Yes... it was kind of in the middle of driving on the interstate.... But I swear I'm a good driver! Look! I even have my seat belt on! just like they say in the manual... I just wanted to show all of you how excited I was to finally be on my way! And also to show off my new haircut. ;) ha ha.
Anyway, before I recount my travels across the southern half of the U.S. I would like to let everyone know that I am currently sitting on my screened-in porch at Orange Lake and that some animal(s) across the green, in what I can only assume is Disney Animal Kingdom, are going crazy! And I mean CRAZY! I think the lawn sprinkler is scaring it/them...but I can, honestly, only guess. I've had a pretty eventful first day in the Sunshine State, but I'll tell you all about that tomorrow. Today is for telling you about my journey here. Ha! Journey... it sounds like I did some kind of soul-searching, or that it took me a long time. I mean, it felt like it. I was in Alabama for a loooooong time! But as for soul-searching, I think I did find out some pretty interesting things about all the states as I drove through them--you know, had some interesting, even if they're not profound, thoughts...
I left Memphis at 9:00 am, after telling everyone good-bye-- everyone being my boyfriend and Cindy. (I said bye to everyone else the week before) and set off on my way. Now, I have to admit that I thought I Alabama would be the worst drive of all, cause let's face it...Alabama hasn't got too much going for it outside of a good college football team and some nice gulf beaches (which are quickly on their way to ruin--Thanks BP!) But Mississippi... I mean...really!? Poor! And not in that funny, redneck, make you laugh kind of way. Rather, that "you really need to fix the roads and upkeep the interstate" kind of poor. Now, don't get me wrong, because I drive the Tennessee interstates monthly and I know we have our rough spots, but this was the whole way down. Another bane of my Mississippi existence was the drivers; they're terrible. They all drive 5 under the speed-limit, which is just annoying if you have to get anywhere! And, being the good Tennessee driver that I am!, I tailed them until they moved out of my way. :) Oh! And to ice the Mississippi cake--it rained on me all the way through Mississippi; it was the only state! I think I very validly make my point that Mississippi failed at being a good drive.
Ok. Now, on to Alabama. And I'm really serious. I was expecting this to be the worst part of my drive down, and although it wasn't the best, it definitely wasn't the worst. the roads were definitely better...and they were mowed. :) Props to Alabama for keeping the median classy. But! I guess it's pretty easy to employ people to work on the road when every exit you pass looks like this:
Also, unfortunately for the wildlife in Alabama and Georgia, I think I killed every bug flying on Hwy. 82. Yep! So, for all you folks who wanted to come visit, if you take that road, you should get out pretty clean...
But while we're on the topic of Georgia, because that's really all I wanted to say about Alabama, I just wanted to say that it's beautiful and so quaint. I would encourage anyone to take a back road drive through the little towns. Sometimes it would get kind of depressing because of the obvious poverty in a few towns, but on the whole it was a lovely drive. The thing I liked best was all of the places to stop for fresh food, fruit or pecans. There were even a few places to stop and help yourself to pick something straight from the garden (which is nice for labor costs. lol). Driving through GA also reminded me of one of my residents from the spring. He lives in a very small town in Tennessee and he mentioned once, in passing, that he was kind of glad to go home every once in a while, because even though he really liked Memphis, it still moved a little bit too fast for him... I saw that in almost every Georgian town I passed through. You have to remember that these are highway towns, not interstate ones. I felt like I was driving through a whole different era...like everywhere I went was right out of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes." In any event, I stopped in Valdosta for the night to sleep and rest for the final drive--taking place the next day.
And what a final drive it was! Entering Florida was amazing! No, there's nothing all that special about Florida...it looks the same (relatively) as every other place. It smells the same (inland) as every other place... but there's something about Florida, that I hope to discover while I'm here, that just makes you feel like you're finally on your way to being on vacation... not that I'm on vacation or anything... >.> But really, Florida's name "The Sunshine State" puts the first impression (at least) in this wonderfully happy box. I can definitely see why people come here for vacation. As for driving, Florida roads are great... because of all the tolls. It you come here, bring your piggy bank! and make sure it's all in change! lolPublix here I come!
But alright. That's about it for me. This girl is going to bed so that she can get an early run in and lots of nice pool/lazy river time in tomorrow... :) What?! You think I came down here two days early to unpack?? I'm familiarizing myself with the workplace. ;)
Talk to you tomorrow!
Whitney


so what exactly was the reason you came down early....hhhhhmmmmm I wonder! Oh I'm just wondering if you will write as much on days you are working? lolol Dr. Silkes
ReplyDeleteWell, I would have to say it depends on how exciting my day at work is... and if I can find my camera charger. :/ I plan on documenting a lot while I'm here. That's the whole point. And I came down early to explore the property and get rid of my paleness. lol! I know Dr. Silkes: Melanoma! (I put on SPF 20. ;)
ReplyDelete