Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Welcoming Party

So...let me ask you a question...
Have you ever been told that you would have to have an orientation day for your job? Yes? Were you really looking forward to it? Probably not... 


But I was!! :) And these people are the reasons why! 


Scott

 the ever-witty Jeremy 


 Yadira--the all-knowing

They were so wonderful to us all day! It was actually pretty fun to be the two interns that were there and people thought the school and the whole concept of what we were doing was great. We got to travel all around the resort and see models of the rooms that guests could be staying in and most, if not all, of the resort amenities. They were so kind and interested in us.

And the great thing about all of this is that people still remember me. Even today I was sitting in the break lounge eating lunch and everyone in there was in my orientation group and they all asked how everything was going with my training and if I was enjoying my internship so far. They seemed genuinely interested in what was going on with me. But the funny thing was is that I was so interested in everything they're doing. Most of them are in sales, which mean they pitch and tour and bring the guest through the pit of sales fire to practically find any way to get them to buy timeshare. And let me tell you, I have decided that I want to shadow one of them sometime to see how it's actually done. I mean, I think it takes a really brave (or stupid--well not really, just not easily dissuaded) and externally-attuned individual to drive those kinds of sales home. I get the concept that if they're staying on property...that in some--even if it's small--kind of way, they want to buy. Really. But it's not like in a hotel where a person comes to the sales department to book an event for example and they know exactly what they want and could probably even give you an RFP detailing the information. These people may want timeshare and just don't know it yet...and these sales people prove that, internally, people want to buy property on a daily basis. I would know, I checked out 5 today who became owners during their stay.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think I'm exactly the kind of person who could sell....maybe if I have the training to do so I could do it, but I'll never know unless I see what they do for myself. I think that's the beauty of this internship; if I want to shadow in sales one day, they can make it happen. If I want to meet with a project development specialist one day for lunch, they can make it happen. Orange Lake has opened so many great opportunities for me to explore all of the different areas that interest me to find out what I'm good at or what I have a knack for. So, I'm really appreciative of everything that everyone on the team (no matter what area they're in) has done for me or plans to help me with. We'll see where all of my investigating takes me and who I end up talking to next in the break room. Who knows, I may learn something different--I did when I took the time to talk to a very nice gentleman and he showed me a little bit of how it's done just by talking to me and finding out the things I liked. And we'll see what sort of things I learn while I'm in my specified area. You should learn something new every day... we'll see what comes up tomorrow.

Also, I know it took me a little while to post this... sorry for the delay! I'll try to keep more on top of it, but it's kind of hard when all you want to do when you get home is read a little in your book and go to sleep. I mean, I haven't even been on Facebook! I know, right!?!

Anyways, talk to you soon about my first day and my second day...and my third day...and any other days in between. 

Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment