
As some of you may know, I will be interning at Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee, Florida for three months this summer: May 24 - August 14 to be exact. I wanted to put together a blog of my time and experiences while I'm there, you know, just for fun. I think many of you who read this will be hearing from me first-hand, but for those of you who won't be talking to me on a regular basis--professors, for one ;) --this is a good way to follow my internship and see how/what I'm doing. For those of you who I will be talking to often, this is a great way to view the photos and videos that I'll be uploading through the course of the summer.
Now that I got that out of the way (you know, the intro that explains everything) I'll fill you in on what my pre-Orlando plans are...well, it's more like what I'll be doing right before I head out. I'm in Chattanooga now at my grandparents house. I had to move out of the dorms on Monday, so I've just been chilling out around the house. Eating... sleeping... eating... shopping--all the important things in life! But I'll be heading back to Memphis on Sunday to see friends one last time before going all the way across four states to Florida. Yep. Let me clarify: 13 hours and 33 minutes of non-stop, action packed, highway/interstate driving. Alone. By myself... through the most boring expanse of Alabama ever created by God himself.
Is it weird that I wanted my grandma to ride down with me, go shopping with me and help me settle in and then fly back on Friday after I get checked in? I mean, I know I'm a big kid now, but I would still like the company. I felt kind of silly that I wanted my grandma to come, but then I thought about it and realized that it wasn't that I wanted my grandma in particular, I just wanted someone. I mean, 13 hours is a looooong time to be on the road alone. But I think I'll enjoy it. :) I'll have to make a lot of iPod/Pandora playlists and hope the internet is strong on the way down.
As for my excitement about the internship itself.... it cannot be expressed in words alone. I think I've probably driven Jennifer crazy with all the questions I've asked her and her team about clothing, uniforms, cleaning supplies (I know! Don't ask....), bedding needs... you get the picture. And everyone on my end has promised that they'll come visit me--whether I prompted them to or not. Haha. I guess everyone's looking for an excuse to have some fun in the sun. And they're saying our industry is hurting right now! Sheesh. My grandmother keeps hearing about all the people who want to come down--who will not be visiting!--and told me that she doesn't think I realize the workload I'm going to have. I had to explain to her that even if I didn't really comprehend at this exact point (even though I'm pretty sure I get the picture) that I'll understand it as soon as Memorial Day weekend rolls around. And when it does, whether I'm ready in this moment or not, I will be ready then. And I'll be having the time of my life... whether I'm in my Orange Lake uniform or not. :)
Voyage details up next! Tune in next week for: Back-roads and Byways: Oh the places you'll go!
And thanks for reading. :)
Whitney

No comments:
Post a Comment